Labcold was founded in 1932 as Boro Dairy Laboratories and Appliance Company Limited. Originally the primary business was to provide a laboratory analytical service to London’s small dairy suppliers who often kept cows in a back yard or even a basement. During WW2 the analytical laboratory suffered a decline as small dairies ceased to exist and free national testing of milk was available, however, after the war the laboratory turned to testing ice cream and the company became appointed analysts to the Ice Cream Alliance. In 1946 the company moved to Catford, and in the following years closed the analytical laboratory to further develop its growing laboratory equipment business, including supplying specialist temperature control equipment for the medical, food, pharmaceutical and life science related applications. The company shortened it’s name to Boro Labs to reflect this change of direction.